Cost of Living - the French don’t seem immune either!



Can’t say I’ve noticed fuel at the pumps to have ever been cheaper in France but that is quite some diesel price at a supermarket.


The food shop was a bit of a shocker as well.  We brought the cupboard basics with us, quite literally, everything we were allowed to and we were shopping to a list.  Granted some wine featured but breaking £225 for a week’s groceries for two, with all stock cupboard items covered, is a bit steep.  Then there’s the daily bread and breakfast pastry order…….


Admittedly, a generous trip to an artisan bakery for 24 hours, but 2 x tradition baguettes, 2 x pain aux raisins and 2 x strawberry tarts came to EUR 18.50 (apparently that is £15.87).  On the plus side it gave me EUR 1.50 in change from a EUR 20.00 note.  I find I am hoarding (or, at least, seeking to acquire) coins right now, both sterling and euros.  I may be paying by phone/card 90% of the time but when I need cash, especially coins, I really need them.  Nothing else will do!


 2 x ice creams, an Evian (bottled water) and a Coke Zero topped 24 euros in Antibes.  They were very nice ice creams and there was a terrace where we could eat them.


Tbf EUR49.00 got 2 steak frites, 2 tarts citron as a ‘formule’ lunch, 2 x Coke Zero and a carafe of water in Menton.  It was never going to win any awards but it met its brief and it was in a prime people watching spot, with enough shade for me as one of a pale skin/ginger persuasion!


Still… I remember when ……


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When others pass stress along, the answer is the vegetable garden

Sometimes life throws a curve ball

Senior Railcard, Twilight Bag Drop, Wetherspoons for Breakfast and Ben’s Buses