Home to the fruit and veg gluts with the odd plant casualty
The downside of being away from home for 18 days came by way of an awful lot of washing and tomatoes, apples, pears, trombonchino and sweetcorn vying for attention. A lot of the tomatoes, primarily the bigger interesting eating varieties, had actually rotted on the vines. The Roma had, however, come into their own after initial difficulties with blossom end rot though the, more everyday, Moneymaker in the greenhouse are now finished as are the courgettes.
Beyond the tomatoes the rest can (will have to) wait, until next weekend. I was out of time before I started. There are carrots, chillis and potatoes that are certainly ready but they will be just fine waiting though we did have carrots and potatoes for supper as well as the sweetcorn that needed eating sooner rather than later where it couldn’t fit in the freezer. One squash (Crown Prince) has joined the others for a final curing in the greenhouse. The final squash (a Muscat - the biggest and probably the most likely contender for the prettiest of the lot) is still not ready but it can sit in its bed until it is. It is the first time I have grown that variety and whilst, overall, they have not been prolific (I have 3) I am rather chuffed with this one. If all goes well it is destined to be roasted wedges with blue cheese and walnuts …… and a very fine send off that will be! Exactly where the butternut and harlequin varieties I planted went remains a mystery.
Beetroot, leeks, kholrabi, chard and various herbs have mostly survived as, seemingly, the late late sowings of carrots, fennel, turnips and more beetroot and chard. Not sure about the kale. It has not been kale’s year in my garden. The sorrel (both lemon/broad leaved and red veined) and lovage are looking a bit sad but, having had a good water I think they will recover or the sorrel will at any rate, the lovage, along with a red sage, should make it back for next year. The lemon verbena is on the critical list but, again, it has had a good water and we shall see. Can’t be away from home for that long, in this weather and not expect some casualties. I just wish it was not my lemon verbena.
Pears (Conference) and apples (Bramleys) went into the two large fridge drawers and the fruit bowl (or what passes for one) on the kitchen counter top. There are many, many more Bramleys to go. Tomatoes have been turned into passatta (or what passes for it in my kitchen - apologies to any Italians - though this time I did sieve it). It is a more watery than a commercial offering and lacks any additions beyond a bit of lemon juice that is there to up the acidity of the bottled (canned for those across the pond), tomato sauce. I don’t bother with any garlic, onions or herby additions in part to give me more freedom when it comes to using it. Neither onion or garlic would present any issue if I decided to use it for a curry rather than a pasta sauce but I would spend my whole time wondering about the taste of basil. Primarily, however, I would rather not dilute the acidity of the tomatoes. I only ever use a water bath which should be fine for tomatoes but I would rather not risk adding non acidic stuff to the mix and potentially causing problems. Some went into the freezer, duly labelled (always helps!) in case S mistakes it for a sorbet. I don’t rule out that still happening given the containers are identical and the only space to be found was on the ice cream shelf!
The small trombo are also in the fridge and the larger one is on the utility room counter and I will deal with it as soon as I can. I suspect most of what I currently have will be grated and frozen for baking, soups and general bulking/hiding another vegetable into pasta/chilli/curry/casseroles. Truth be told they look fab over an archway. They have also been very productive this year and I will grow them again but my taste buds are currently coming down in favour of a decent squash or courgette.
The Comice pears are not yet ready which is something of a relief. I have other stuff to deal with. They are looking like my chutney push for this year though mostly they will be bottled (canned). It is usually the Williams (Bartlett across the pond) that I use for chutney and Conference for spiced pears but things went awry re timing this year. I have yet to make a decision as to what I am using the Conference pears for but I will need to make my mind up quickly.
One day at home just was not enough!

Comments
Post a Comment